Whether your concern is environmental betterment, or simply frustration over disposing of scraps of food properly without too much of a mess, you will need a good garbage disposal.
There are a number of things you need to bear in mind when choosing the best garbage disposal for your household.
The InSinkErator Garbage disposal is one of those that offer great value for money, and tick off all the boxes in your checklist about what to look for in a good garbage disposal unit.
What makes for good garbage disposal?
Some of the things you need to keep an eye out for when looking to buy garbage disposal:
- The quality and capacity of the motor and horsepower
- Mounting System and Disposer Replacement Convenience
- Grinding Capability and capacity
- Noise Level
- Grind Components
- Drain Connection
In this InSinkErator Garbage Disposal Review, we will discuss how the InSinkErator Badger 5 falls under the category of a good garbage disposal unit, what features it has to offer and why you should consider buying it.
What does the InSinkErator Garbage Disposal have to offer?
- Reliability: The InSinkErator Badger 5 is a reliable garbage disposer and is a great value for money
- Compact Design: The unit is designed to save space and fits easily with existing hardware
- Durable: The components of this garbage disposal unit are durable and the induction motor is the ½ horsepower Dura-Drive exclusively made for the InSinkErator series.
- Dependable Grind: To ensure that grinding is done properly and you can rely on the garbage disposer to do its job right, it has galvanized steel components which are long-lasting and effective for your normal daily food scraps
- Chamber Capacity: The chamber capacity for this InSinkErator Model is 26 oz. which means that it is ideal for a unit of one family
- Brand: The InSinkErator has a range of models to suit various needs and budgets, and is one of the most trusted brands in America where most of the households have used at least one of the InSinkErator garbage disposal units.
- Fast: This disposal unit makes it easy for you to keep your kitchen clean starting from the preparation of your meal down to cleaning up at the end of a meal.
- Power Cord: This unit comes with a 32 inches’ power cord from the base of the unit to the wall plug.
How to Clean and Maintain the InSinkErator Garbage Disposal?
After a certain time of usage, there is a chance that some food particles may get stuck in the grinding chamber and a bad odor is a sign that food particles are stuck and the disposer needs to be cleaned.
All you have to do is:
- Put a stopper in the sink and fill half of the sink with warm water
- Add 1/4 cup of baking soda into the water
- Now turn the disposer on and at the same time remove the stopper
- This will wash away the particles that are stuck in the grinder and clean your InSinkErator Garbage Disposal
How to take care of a jam?
There is no need to worry if the motor stops working, as it may be because of a jam in the disposer, which can easily be fixed.
- To start, turn off both the water and the disposer.
- In the center hole in the bottom of the disposer, attach a small wrench (don’t worry, it comes in the box) and move back and forth until it turns one full circle without any hindrance.
- Take tongs or something similar to reach into the disposer and remove whatever is causing the jam.
- Give 3-5 minutes for the motor to cool down before pushing the red reset button at the bottom of the InSinkErator.
Your disposer should work perfectly now.
- Model Number: Badger 5
- Product Dimensions: 6.3 x 6.3 x 11.5 inches
- Item Weight: 5 pounds
- Color: Black and Grey
- Material and Finish: Stainless Steel
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Horsepower: 1/2
- Grind Chamber Capacity: 26 oz.
- Average Water Usage: Approx 1 Gallon per person per day
- Drain Connection: 1-1/2 inches slip joint with dishwasher connection
- Warranty: 3 Year
- Factory Installed Power Cord: Yes
What we like about the InSinkErator
- Good Horsepower at 1/2
- Stainless Steel Finish
- Easily compatible
- Galvanized steel components to effectively grind food scraps
- 3-year warranty
- 26 oz. chamber capacity
- Not too pricey and great value for money
- Comes with a cord
What could be better?
- The InSinkErator doesn’t handle too much greasy garbage well, and requires regular cleaning in case of excessive fat and grease is disposed of.
What is in the box?
- InSinkErator Badger 5 garbage disposal unit
- Power cord attached
- Discharge Tube
- Jam Buster Wrench
- Instructions manual
The InSinkErator Garbage Disposal unit is one of the most convenient and efficient disposal units, especially if you are on a budget. It is easy to install, easily compatible and works like a charm to make things easier for you in the kitchen.