For long life and best results from your long slot toaster, regular maintenance and cleanliness is a must. While you may clean crumbs from the outside, a thorough cleaning is required on a regular basis so that your toaster remains the best toaster ever. Here is how to do it
- Small paintbrush
- Mild detergent
- White vinegar
- Long wooden spoon
- Dust Bin
Steps to Clean the Toaster
- First of all, unplug the toaster and make sure it is absolutely cool.
- Secondly, place the long slot toaster on a flat surface with newspaper, cloth, or paper towels underneath it. This will be helpful in cleaning up after the process is complete.
- Place a trash can nearby to dispose of the breadcrumbs.
- After prepping the workspace, remove the crumb tray of the long slot toaster. Be careful while taking it out so that the crumbs don’t fall anywhere.
- Shake the crumb tray lightly on the trash can to throw away all the mount up crumbs.
- Wash the tray with water and add a few drops of mild detergent on a sponge and dry it with a clean cloth. You can also wash it in a dishwasher if the material of the tray is compatible.
- Next, inspect the toaster for crumbs or residue of bread on the inside. For any remaining crumbs, use a paintbrush carefully to sweep clean the toaster body.
- Be very gentle during this step as the heating components of the toaster should not be affected, and care must be executed while introducing any non-food item in such electrical appliances.
- Lastly, invert the toaster over the trash can and shake it for any remaining crumbs, then flip it back to its original position.
- Fix back the crumb tray in the long slot toaster.
- In case your toaster does not have a removable tray, simply turn the toaster upside down over the trash can and give it a good shake so that all loose crumbs or residue of bread are removed.
- The interior of the toaster can be thoroughly cleaned with a soft-bristled toothbrush as the slots are easily within reach of the brush. Sprinkling some white vinegar on the bristles of the toothbrush will make the cleaning part even better.
- When the need arises, disinfecting your toaster is also easy. Make a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water. First, dip a cloth in it and squeeze it in a way that leaves it moistened, not wet.
- Next, wrap the moist cloth around the handle of a long wooden spoon and carefully wipe the toaster slots from the inside.
- Let the toaster dry fully before toasting bread in it.
- Wipe the exterior of the toaster with a moist cloth also.
- Congrats! Your best long slot toaster is as good as new again.
- It is always a good idea to keep the owner’s manual of your toaster around for tips to clean your toaster according to its make and model. It is best to read it before handling all such electronic devices
- Heat cleaning cycle can be used on and off for quick cleaning. You just have to turn the thermostat of the toaster to the highest setting and run the toaster with empty slots. The high temperature will destroy all germs, if any.
- If your long slot toaster has a metal body, it can also be wiped with a cloth soaked in soapy water. The soap residue can be cleaned with moist cloth afterward.